- December 3
- 1844 – Cobble Hill Tunnel (pictured) in New York City opens; it is now the oldest railway tunnel beneath a city street in North America.
- 1901 – The Trondheim, Norway, streetcar opens; at the time, it was the northernmost streetcar system in the world.
- 1967 – The New York Central's 20th Century Limited is discontinued just before the railroad's merger with the Pennsylvania Railroad to form the Penn Central.
- Hilger, James (March 23, 2009). "Notes from the Underground: The Secret Tunnels of Brooklyn". psfk.com. Retrieved April 8, 2009.
- "Oldest Subway Tunnel in the World". CityNoise. January 5, 2009. Retrieved April 8, 2009.
- Aspenberg, Nils Carl (1995). På meterspor i Nidaros. Oslo: Baneforlaget. p. 6.